Sonntag, 21. Januar 2024

((Non)Self)

I am barely beginning to understand a lesson from several weeks ago. There has been a long digestive break during which I chewed on, and exploratorily moved to, the notion of:

 Voluminous hip joints vs. delicate Kreutzbein (German “crossleg”) joint (at the intersection of back (up/down spinal river) and cadera (Spanish “hips”; horizontal and circling springs (of movement, energy, flow etc.). Both elements are crucial to a body’s centreline (i.e. balance). I continue to awaken to the acetabulum-ilium-ischium-pubo-sacral complex in new ways, thus triggering transformational body-consciousness and self-awareness. Of course, this is true of other areas of the body constantly on my mind as well. However, I’m not, at the moment, chasing those notions with the same devotion. I am clearly preoccupied with the whole body* all the time.

*I wanted to include the word mind. But I’ve come to the following conclusion:
Given that even the elusive mind must have a biological, a physical manifestation (the nervous system perhaps? though this is a perceptive system not entirely unlike other anatomical phenomena), the mind is body.

Am contemplating so many things, all the time. Thank God for Philosophy Sunday! I guard everyone’s sleep while I think in peace. Joy overcomes my wretched spirit. I listen to music and move words and body. Today I rest gratefully on my bed as I write. Had a bad night. The 48 hours of strong non-stop bleeding, the height of the bloody period, are upon me. This means probably two nights of interrupted sleep due to getting up every couple of hours to empty my menstrual cup, or change the tampon, pad, or rag.

I hate it when two notions cross like rivers confusing the mental landscape. It happens to me with languages, too. I get stuck searching for a word, an expression, a thought. Sometimes it is lost forever. Brain technology, what can I say? Totally organic. Thus, orgasmic. Thus, unpredictable and fleeting… There I go again losing track.

1. Surely bleeding females have had interesting ways of dealing with the moonthly flow of death all across herstory dating back eons. Before all the industry we know today there was fur. A useful piece of absorbent, washable animal fur cut small between the legs or larger underneath the hips overnight, or while sitting cutting stones; or, grass bound together, biodegradable; an other plants and natural fabrics assisted in cathing the unstoppable flow of female blood.

2. Sunday, Sabbath. A day of doing nothing.  On the seventh day: rest. A day for contemplation, for God to go beyond the binds of physics. Some believe that even flipping a light switch is too much work for a Sunday. Pray to God in darkness instead! A day to rest. Resting is a basic human necessity. This, humans have known for eons. Embedded even in patriarchal old testaments is wisdom true. Women must have come up with that. Anyone who cares for the young knows that hunger and fatigue greatly affect a child’s mood. It’s true for gown-ups, too. Nurture and rest are inescapable terrestrial necessities. It’s also what every woman requires at least once a month during the days of dying.

Two thoughts that now flow together separately.

At the same time that Father Richard (Rohr) was sending reflections about living with paradox, I was experiencing a lot of paradox of my own. Many more rivers of contemplation flow through my being simultaneously. I’ve been preoccupied with Siddhartha Gotama Buddha again, for example. A German book** which revisits the Buddha’s story as it’s told, makes it clear that Siddhartha had a singular goal of becoming enlightened. A singular goal of shedding, of overcoming all the suffering in the world, of living lightly*** to never incarnate again. But Buddha my love, you live on incarnate in me! And in the next flesh who thinks about you, too. Will you help us not suffer? Except, I know that he can’t. I must do it all by myself with my own pained effort, until it pains no more. Siddhartha took the physically hard paths of yoga and ascetism. He acquired countless techniques in terms of taming or regulating the body, nearly killing himself through starvation. And yet, all that rigor and near-death did prepare him for the sitting of his lifetime. He was able to endure the Asana that freed him. His body, breath, and endurance were trained. He performed the greatest art of perception ever. He attained something that is attainable to all. At what cost? At the cost of suffering.

On the dawn of my birthday, while being in a state between asleep and awake, I had the most singular sensation of non-self. I felt fully (my) non-selfness. It was the most beautiful, peaceful and happy (non)sensation I’ve ever felt. It was fleeting. It was a gift. And all I desire is to experience it again. But how? Following the Buddha’s searching path? 

Thus, I’ve been preoccupied with the notions of self and/or non-self. I am curious about the nature of a human species self. An individual self, or a singular creature, is already so very complex. But it is as complex as other individuals, or creatures, like it. And it is complex in very similar ways to yet other creatures that seem different. Thus, a collective kind of self must exist beyond the individual self, which is rendered non-self by that larger reality.

There is an idiosyncratic self (i.e. genetic body variation; individual experience; and so on). There is also a non-self, the reality of non-idiosyncratic biological (and particular) collective existence (species, material universe, and so on). What lies beyond that?

I’ve experienced another kind of non-self as a mother. I’m not sure what to call it. Co-self? Double-self?

Perhaps the self and non-self are kind of the same. There can only be a non-self (or any other variation thereof) given a self. For, what is not, cannot be denied. What can be transcended must exist. In this sense, to what extent can the idiosyncratic self transcend a collective, or species self, or a beyond or non-self? To what extent does non-self transcend idiosyncrasies?

Indeed, what is the nature of our shared humanity embedded in the biological and technological connections of a material universe? Who are we humans as a species?

Philosophy Sunday has run out for now. Worldly duties and other desires abound. There was more I wanted to write. Of course, hundreds of pages of notes hang in the making. My philosophical compulsions never cease. I’ll end with a note of gratitude. 

God bless the living! For, Nexistentialism enjoys great company. I get to experience some of my favourite contemporary philosophers live, for they are my teachers! The beautiful, intelligent, experienced, independent, and compassionate minds of great thinkers with loving hearts. Yes, philosophy is alive and well in the world. Of course it is! It always was. But more on that another time.

Image: "Calavera cósmica en el espacio exterior"
 de warzinx

** "Ein Mann Namens Buddha - Sein Weg und Seine Lehre" von Samuel Bercholz und Sherab Chödin (1994).

***to not suffer, for suffering is heavy and hard


Keine Kommentare:

Physical Scholarship* and Sleepy Glutes

Life’s circumstances provided two unexpected opportunities this week, which furthered my physical-philosophical study in significant ways. A...